Michael is widely regarded as one of the finest exponents of the Irish harp in traditional Irish music. Originally from Scotstown, Co. Monaghan, Michael has composed seven major suites of music in the past fifteen years, including ‘The Battle of the Books Suite’, 'The Famine Suite' and 'The Millennium Suite'. His most recent suite 'The De Cuellar Suite' was premiered in Sligo 2011 and at the Temple Bar Trad Festival in 2013. Michael's music featured on RTE's recent documentary of Queen Elizabeth's visit to Ireland; The Queen's Speech'. He has recorded two CDs with flute player June McCormack; 'Draíocht' (2004) and 'Land's End' (2006)
Michael has published three books of his own compositions; 'Harp Tunes' (2006), Aifreann Gaeilge (2012) and 'The de Cuéllar Suite' (2012). He is much in demand as an arranger, musician and accompanist in traditional music circles
- 2011 - The De Cuellar Suite: The story of Francisco De Cuellar, who was one of the few survivors from the three Spanish Armada ships wrecked off the coast of Sligo in 1588.
- 2007 - Aifreann Gaeilge 2: For Corofin Trad Festival (Broadcast on Raidio na Gaeltachta)
- 2006 - Battle of Books: For Sligo's Ceol na nÓg (Story of St. Colmcille)
- 2006 - Harp Tunes: Book of 23 Compositions
- 2006 - Suite for Harp and String Quartet
- 2000 - The Millennium Suite: For Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann
- 1997 - Aifreann Gaeilge: For Sligo Choral Society (Four Part Irish Mass)
- 1996 - The Famine Suite: For the History Ireland Performance Company in Sligo. A CD of this suite was released entitled 'Ocras'
- Land's End (2006)
- Draíocht (2004)
- Dartry Ceili Band: 'The Killavil Post' (2010)
- Ocras of own compositions (1996)
- CD with Brian Fitzgerald and Oisín Mac Diarmada in 2000 with Cló Íar Chonnachta CICD144.
- 'Cumar' compilation CD in 1999 with Cló Íar Chonnachta CICD141.
- Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann CD 'Rogha Ordha' - a CD containing a selection of Irish traditional 'golden moments' of music and song launched at Scoil Eigse 2001 to celebrate Comhaltas's Golden Jubilee.
- 'RTE Ten Years of Ceilí House' - (2005)
Michael has also provided accompaniment on the following CDs:
- Muireann Nic Amhlaoidh-Ar Uair Bhig an Lae: The Small Hours (2012)
- The Piper's Dream - Brian Mc Namara.
- James Keane's
- The Nervous Man - Micheal Ó Raghailligh
- Innishkeeragh - Brenda Mc Cann
- Launching the Boat - Síona