Michael Rooney is a prolific composer and is widely regarded as one of the foremost players of the traditional Irish harp.
Michael has recently been announced as the TG4 Composer of the Year for 2017.
Originally from Scotstown, Co. Monaghan and now resident in Sligo, Michael has composed nine suites of music in the past 20 years, including The Macalla Suite (2016), Boróimhe Suite (2014), The Second Coming (2014), De Cuellar Suite (2011) and Battle of the Books Suite (2007).
In May 2015, Michael was commissioned to write music and perform on the occasion of Prince Charles’ visit to Sligo. His music features on ‘The Queen's Speech’, RTÉ's documentary of Queen Elizabeth’s visit to Ireland.
Compositions by Michael Rooney
- 'The Macalla Suite’ - Easter 1916 Centenary (2016)
- 'Reconciliation' - For the official visit to Sligo of TRH,The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall (2015)
- ‘The Second Coming’ - Music for an aerial dance spectacular performed by a Traditional Quartet. The show was commissioned by Hawks Well, Sligo and travelled to Celtic Connections, Glasgow and toured Germany (2014)
- ‘Boróimhe’ - Commemorating the 1000-year anniversary of the Battle of Clontarf (2014).
- 'The De Cuellar Suite' - A collaboration of Irish Traditional, Galician Traditional and Classical musicians based on the Spanish Armada and the writings of Francisco De Cuellar (2011)
- ‘The Battle of the Books’ - A Suite remembering the epic battle between St. Colmcille and St. Finian in Sligo. (2006)
- ‘Aifreann Gaeilge’ - Commissioned for the Corofin Traditional Music Festival. (2006)
- 'The Millennium Suite' - A suite composed for the Fleadh Cheoil na hEireann in Enniscorthy in 2000.
- 'The Famine Suite' – A suite commemorating the great famine. (1997)